Monday 13 August 2007

Clapham

We're here!!! it's pronounced "Clapum" of course.

it's so much nicer than our old place, the streets are cleaner, the people are friendlier, the sun shines that little bit brighter and the house! We're in the "attic" which is actually bigger than our room at our previous place. although it lacks a desk it makes up for it by having an ensuite.
oh, and WE HAVE A SHOWER!!!!!!!!! we have to switch on a pump to get the water up to the third floor, but by golly, IT'S A SHOWER!!!!

The couple that we're staying with have two children, one nearly 3yr old and another about 4 months. the downside is unfortunately that the shower pump is in the 4month old's room and so we have to time our showers to when the baby's awake so we don't disturb her with the noise of the pump.

the double bed we've been given is the spare bed because they "bought it, but it was too soft". and the duvet (I thought this was a fold out day bed until debbie translated "doona" for me) is extremely thick and warm.

The shops allong the high street are very cool, more coffee shops, a propper butchers and the Sainsburys (woolworths/coles equivelant) is far bigger. There's a whole wall of choice of bread and there's the normal selection of brands for everything else. the sainsburys in kennington only had 1 or 2 brand choices for each product. it's just a better place to live.

Saturday night we had a home made beef stew with the family and got to know them a bit better - they're a lovely couple, very like us in many ways, so we get along really well, and debbie of course was supurb at breaking the ice with the 3 year old girl, who warmed up to us very quickly.

last week while I stayed indoors mostly, I spent a lot of time whatching youtube videos on how to cook different food, so sunday morning I tried my hand at french toast. it's really very easy and it's not all that decedant either, it's just eggs and toast really. and so everyone had a couple of slices each. very tasty.

So today (monday) I've bought a headset and microphone and a wireless router (they pronounce it "rooter" here, I've got to force myself to say it this way...) so we should be able to start skyping sometime soon which will be good, because I spent £10 on my last call to Australia!

Job search is comming allong nicely, Got two applications processing. Apparently it's a little bit slow this time of year because people go away on holidays and are hard to get a hold of. Not desperate yet though so I'll bide my time and keep exploring this amazing city.

My advice for people comming here, if you're not on a tight deadline to go see all the standard touristy stuff, just spend a couple of hours walking down side streets and alleyways, there's Amazing little coffee shops and quaint little resturants all over the place that actually make good coffee and cheap, high quality food.

I'm recovering very quickly from last weeks bug. I've got the vast majority of my energy and at least as much appetite back.

I think tomorrow I'll go check out Richmond.

Keep sending us e-mails! we really appreciate the contact!

No comments: