Friday 21 March 2008

Video!!!!

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I blogged properly. I've been sick the last week and a bit and have only just recovered. People seem to get sick more and take longer to recover over here than in Australia, it must be because of the Cold and lack of sun. Sometimes we go for days or even weeks without seeing the sun at all.

Anyway, so in preparation for a Brussels trip coming up next week I charged up the video camera, thinking that we could take some film anyway, dispite the fact that over the past six months I haven't been able to get it to interface with our computer. So I thought I'd give it one more try anyway, said a quick "God, please let the camera work", plugged it in and *pop* up came the dialogue box asking me what I wanted to do with the mass storage device connected to the computer! wooooo!!!!!! so I don't know what I've changed since last time I tried, we've been through a number of windows updates and I think I may have upgraded the USB drivers at one stage....

What this means is that we now have the ability to share video with you!!!! we havn't taken much arround London, mostly because we didn't know if we could get the camera to work with the computer, but now we can, there'll be heaps more to come.

I've put together a little compilation of us in Japan and our first two days in London. We're both really sorry for making fools of ourselves, our poor camera work, the sea-sickness you'll feel from the wobbleing and the pixelation that occurs when we move the camera too fast. but hopefully it should bring you some joy to see us in the flesh again :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBfv8DDUXms


In other news, We're going to Hillsong London now - we mostly changed back so we can interact with people our own age, All souls tends to cater for an older crowd and we're really missing having friends that we can talk with on the same level.

[Warning: Geekishness ahead!]
Also in other news, I've started to teach myself java. I'm having a bit of fun learning new things with Oracle also. I recently taught myself regular expressions, something that I've been putting off for a very long time, only because they looked complicated. Regular expressions are bits of code that allow pattern matching in text. in normal searching, you try to find an exact match for whatever it is that you type in - so if you wanted to search for a telephone number (for example) you'd probably not be able to find it unless you knew the one you were looking for, but with regular expressions, you can search for a pattern, rather than actual numbers or letters. here's a regex that defines the format for an australian phone number with area code and brackets: /^\(\d{2}\)\s\d{4}\s\d{4}$/ yay....

this comic was my inspriation to learn:
Photobucket

I've also been having a lot of fun learning new oracle stuff. Got some good advice the other day from one of the more senior members of the forums:

"give a man a fish, you feed him for a day
teach a man to fish, he'll spend all day drunk in a rowboat
beat a man over the head with a fish, he'll leave you alone"

[End Geekishness]

so anyway, not much to report.

oh - one thing - just about 20 mins ago it looked like it was attempting to snow.... these kind of tiny hail-like things fell for about 2 mins with a whole bunch of rain.....

not that we'd know what snow looks like.

in fact, We don't really believe in snow anymore.... we think it's something that people who live in cold climates talk about to make people from warm climates scared..... kind of like we do with the drop bears.....

anyway - see you after belgium!

No comments: